TOP 10 QUESTIONS | E-MAIL | MORE INFO
1) I'm a Life Long Republican.
2) I am running for city council because I would like to have an opportunity to represent all the people, and to create positive changes for the good of the city. I believe that there should be more community involvement, and that the community should have more of a voice concerning the overall operation of the city. For instance: I would like to reinstate the Planning Commission, because the citizens in the community should be involved in the overall general plan, growth and direction that the city plans to take during the next ten years. Another example: would be to create an ad hoc finance committee to recommend where revenue for economic development could best be invested in the community.
3) I have been married for 49 years to my high school sweetheart, Janice West. We have 3 children, 11 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.
4) I have no preference at this time.
5) Nazarene: I believe in the Trinity, and that Jesus Christ is the Son of GOD. Jesus is my personal Savior, and everything that is asked of GOD must go through HIS Son. My whole family are Christians, and look forward to spending eternity with our Heavenly Father.
6) The Constitution is the highest man made law of the land. All other man made laws are subservient, and cannot be in conflict with it's authority. If elected, I will faithfully support the Constitution, and put it above all other man made laws.
7) I will support a city manager who respects the community and all of the members of the council, and be a team player. The city manager must be able to take direction from the council, and work with the citizens for the betterment of the community. The city manager must be able and willing to strive to provide the very best services to the citizens of Porterville.
8) The federal government has no jurisdiction over state and local government. The federal system is an independent system, and operates as a soveriegn an entirely separate entity. The power of the states is guaranteed by way of the 10th. Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
9) Business growth must be orderly and part of the overall general plan of the city. A pie-in-the-sky operation is ineffective. Again, citizens participation is a must.
10) Why are you running for city council, and what do you feel your role should be if you are elected ?
- SEND E-MAIL TO KELLY WEST -
Answers came via e-mail
Validated on Dec. 21st.
Posted Dec 21st. 2000