TOP 10 QUESTIONS | E-MAIL | MORE INFO
1) Republican since 1961
2) I'm a candidate for City Council because I feel I have a unique background that makes me very well qualified to
perform the required duties. I have over 30 years experience in city management, usually in the position of chief
financial officer. I also served 4 years as a city manager and over 15 years as an assistant city manager. I've not
only learned the intimate details of city operations, but I've also learned to relate to the citizens whom we serve.
3) I have three children, all adults and independent. My son serves in the U. S. Army, presently attached to a
United Nations unit in Europe. My oldest daughter owns an agricultural chemical business in eastern New
Mexico. My youngest daughter is an attorney in Arizona.
4) I am an individual and I would support those issues which I feel best benefit the people of Porterville. I will
have to work effectively with the entire Council.
5) I am a devout Christian and have been all of my life. At the present time I am not an active participant in a
6) I believe the constitution is a well prepared document and should be interpreted as literally as possible.
7) The present city manager has served almost 24 years and, I believe, the results he has produced pretty much
speak for themselves. Porterville has more than doubled in population since he assumed his position and I am
sometimes amazed at how much the community has changed since I came here in 1966. Most of the change has
been good. It is no secret that the City Manager and I have not always seen eye-to-eye. Our differences are
professional and I respect his opinions whether or not I agree with them.
8) Intrusion by both the federal government and state government has been a real detriment to local
government. The programs they have produced to "help" local government have had so many strings attached
that they eventually steal the local governing body's ability to make decisions.
9) We definitely need business growth, although it should be well thought out and well planned. We don't need
growth for the sake of growth. What we need equally as much is some way to stimulate the growth of the
existing businesses in the community. We must do something to help the small businesses succeed.
10) I guess I would ask the other candidates if they have ever administered a forty million dollar budget? Or,
have they ever managed labor negotiations for 240 employees? Or, have they worked with other levels of
- SEND E-MAIL TO WILLIAM R. MCGUIRE -
Phone intervier by A.L.Lucketta
E-Mailed on Dec. 26th. 2000
Posted Dec 26th. 2000: